Saturday, August 27, 2005

My "Enemies"

I've been dealing with people lately, where I don't know how to react. I guess it's hard for me to not be around christian - like people. That looking back on it sounds so unlike the religion itself. Shouldn't I help these people see the light? Find Jesus, so they too might be saved? Well that's what I concluded. So I went to take a look in the bible on how I might go about doing such a thing. And what I got was a rude awakening. I discovered that I was going about this in the wrong way. I was trying to help these people so that I could accept them, love them.

Luke 6:27-36
27"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31Do to others as you would have them do to you.
32"If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them. 33And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that. 34And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' lend to 'sinners,' expecting to be repaid in full. 35But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.


So that was my slap in the face, (as some say) by God. Telling me that I should love people, sure I can try to help them, but to help them by praying and accepting who they are. If I wish to be loved and not judged I must do the same. Then I thought, what if God was like that. What if, because I am a sinner God decided he would hate me, and not accept me until I changed. Thank God He's not human.

1 Comments:

At 8:10 p.m. , Blogger Michelle said...

Great post Erin. I have to remind myself all the time that I need to accept people, not judge them. Judging is best left to Jesus. It's something that everyone needs to be reminded of once in awhile. I understand the urge to "help" people, I worry about many people that I care about who don't know Jesus. I try to love and accept them as they are, and hope with God's help that Jesus will shine through me. Thanks for making me think!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home