Tuesday, February 15, 2005

The Parents

Your told to be polite to people who aren't your immediate family. There's always that constant reminder; say your please and thank you's make sure you don't make a mess and be sure not to say anything rude. So you go about your life being polite, saying those thank you's and trying to please everyone. Of course your supposed to act this way with your parents too, but why is it that as soon as we do something wrong we are exiled, forced to wonder why our parents are mad at us; because they're punishment is to stop talking to us. Parents are fragile things. There is a very fine line between approval and disapproval with most parents.
It is, in fact, very easy to judge if a particular child is or isn't nagged. If I were to take my friend Ben for example, I could very easily say that his father didn't nag him much at all. This is because he simply does what he likes. I mean, who does the right thing when nobody cares if you don't? Now take myself, I have had more than my fare share of nagging in my time. How do you know? Well, everything I am was shaped by my mother. She is an epitome of understanding, a wealth of knowledge and of course I have inherited the other traits like beauty and genetic perfection. As we get older we tend to want to be in control of our direction, and not be forced in a particular direction by someone else, even by a parent. This is why I don't like my mother nagging, because it symbolises that feeling of control and power that our parents crave.

2 Comments:

At 7:41 p.m. , Blogger lori said...

speaking as a parent, i don't crave power and control, i crave free time and chocolate!

 
At 8:59 p.m. , Blogger Scott said...

i dont' have to nag ben, he's perfect!... or beyond help, i can't remember which one.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home